Wednesday 5 May 2010

Human Libraries

No - you are not mistaken!  HUMAN Libraries!  How strange!  I was at the portacabin with Josh's mum and she got tied up with something - think it was a pipecleaner! Anyway.....I thought I would pop over to the library next door - South Hornchurch Library - and see what was going on.  You can imagine my surprise when I walked in to find a group of people listening to a man talking about bungy jumping!  I did have the chance to do a bungy jump once but decided against it due to a rather uncomfortable experience I had with a pair of braces....least said! 

It turns out that the group of people had "loaned" out this gentleman to tell them his story.  I had a chat to Viv, one of the ladies responsible for bringing this idea to Havering Libraries and she said that they had lots of "books" for loan.  She told me that individuals or groups could "borrow" the books for a short while and listen to their story.  Whats more, they can even ask questions.

I asked Viv if I could be a human book and she sort of coughed and spluttered a little.  I think she may have swallowed a little piece of her biscuit!

I spent a little time looking through the "catalogue" - in front of a rather interesting biographies display!  There were some really interesting looking "books" in there - they ranged from someone talking about preserving the Ongar - Epping Railway Line (Josh's Mum said she had listened to him and he was fascinating!) to people who have had a really tough time and recovered.

I think this is an amazing idea and was so impressed with how it was run.  Viv said that there will be another Human Library session in October in Rainham so I will definitely be going along to "borrow" one of the books!

Got to go now - am reading a rather interesting biography myself and want to read the next chapter.

Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment